Email: »
Tel: +39 320 223 7822 Just call us in Italy via WhatsApp!

What is a commercial endorsement?

A commercial endorsement is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.

A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement.

Which certificates can be commercially endorsed?

The following certificates can receive the standard commercial endorsement:

I) Course completion certificate:

  • RYA National Powerboat Certificate – Level 2
  • RYA National Powerboat Certificate – Advanced (only if issued before January 1, 2005)
  • RYA Day Skipper Practical course completion certificate, if supported by a Day Skipper Theory course completion certificate

II) Certificate of competence (exam passed):

  • RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster CoastalCertificate of Competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
  • In addition, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Certificates of Competence can receive the STCW endorsement.

Which certificate do I need?

The MCA’s codes of practice categorise British flagged commercial yachts according to the type of yacht and the waters in which they operate. It is this categorisation that determines which of the above certificates you will need.

The RYA is a certifying authority for the codes of practice and can give advice on the coding and categorisation of commercial yachts.

How do I apply for a standard commercial endorsement?

Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:

Note: From April 2012 onwards applicants for the commercial endorsement also have to complete an online PPR course and assessment, as detailed here.


Commercial EndorsementCommercial Endorsement
Commercial Endorsement
Super Yacht Industry Commercial Endorsement