Email: firstname.lastname@example.org »
Tel: +39 320 223 7822 Just call us in Italy via WhatsApp!
What is a commercial endorsement?
A commercial endorsement is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.
A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement.
Which certificates can be commercially endorsed?
The following certificates can receive the standard commercial endorsement:
I) Course completion certificate:
- RYA National Powerboat Certificate – Level 2
- RYA National Powerboat Certificate – Advanced (only if issued before January 1, 2005)
- RYA Day Skipper Practical course completion certificate, if supported by a Day Skipper Theory course completion certificate
II) Certificate of competence (exam passed):
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster CoastalCertificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
- In addition, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Certificates of Competence can receive the STCW endorsement.
Which certificate do I need?
The MCA’s codes of practice categorise British flagged commercial yachts according to the type of yacht and the waters in which they operate. It is this categorisation that determines which of the above certificates you will need.
The RYA is a certifying authority for the codes of practice and can give advice on the coding and categorisation of commercial yachts.
How do I apply for a standard commercial endorsement?
Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- Your original certificate – see list above
- Your Professional Practices & Responsibilities certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate
- We can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
- A copy of your Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- First Aid Certificate. There are some First Aid qualifications that are Unacceptable to the RYA/MCA (only required if applying for a commercial endorsement to a Day Skipper, Power Boat Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate).
- SRC Certificate or other acceptable marine radio operator’s certificate (only required if applying for a commercial endorsement to a Day Skipper, Power Boat Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate.
- A passport sized photo with your name on the back
- The fee
Note: From April 2012 onwards applicants for the commercial endorsement also have to complete an online PPR course and assessment, as detailed here.