Tel: +1 (268) 721 3456
To make it easier for you to find the courses and dates you require, we have now added our Current Course Availability page detailing current courses that are on our schedule and available dates when any course can be scheduled for you. Availability is always subject to bookings received.
If the dates you are interested in are not shown please email us for availability of a yacht and instructor and we will set the course up for you.
This is a comprehensive 5 day introduction to chart work, navigation, meteorology and skippering. The course is invaluable if you want to progress from being a crew member to making decisions on board. The course will give you an insight into the theoretical aspects of managing a yacht at sea.
No previous experience is necessary, but some practical sailing experience is desirable. The RYA Competent Crew course is ideal for this.
Many students have difficulty with some elements of this syllabus. At Miramar Sailing School we have produced some “aide memoires” to help simplify some of the calculations:
- Tidal Height & Stream Calculation Flow Chart to help explain the complexities of the Northern Territories and Southern Peninsula.
- Estimated Position, Dead Reckoning & Course to Steer to help establish position and plan passages using Tidal Vectors.
COURSE FEE €680 – Currency Converter
What do you get for this?.
- Open air waterfront classroom with beautiful views across the Antiguan hillside
- Light lunch each day
- Free Wi-Fi on school premises
- All relevant RYA course notes and loan of training materials
- RYA Certificate
- Top quality training. Read what our past clients think in our Client Reviews
Optional Online Course
We are pleased to advise we work closely with Navathome. For the delivery of RYA Online Theory Courses.
This course is also available through our affiliation with NauticEd
Online Course Costs:
Navathome €345. Delivery of course materials to UK and Europe is free. To USA and Canada UK£30. To the Rest of the World UK£40
Discounts / student: Not applicable to Online Courses, or RYA Voucher Redemption.
- 5% – 2 students on the same course.
- 7.5% – 3 students on the same course.
- 10% – 4 students, or more, on the same course.
Course Content: Syllabus Details
Course Schedule: 09:00 to 17:30 daily.
Ability after Course: You will be considered capable of safely navigating a yacht by day in local waters.
Availability: All year round Sundays to Thursdays.
Consider our 1 or 2 day training courses that will enhance your training and make the most of your time in Antigua. Not only will you maximise the investment in your trip, you will depart with two RYA qualifications instead of one!
If you wish to include any of the following in your package please Email us for availability.
Please visit Bookharbour for the following recommended pre-course study materials:
- International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea
- RYA Weather Handbook
- RYA Navigation Exercises
- Day Skipper Theory
- Day Skipper Handbook