The boat was designed by Alan Andrews and built by Eric Goetz- the design was a close copy of ‘Yamaha’ which had won the previous edition of the race in 1993.
Since 1997 “Challenger” has sailed very few miles as she was part of a private collection in Long Beach, California. During this time however she was heavily modified to reflect the changing designs of ocean racers with more emphasis put on the simple operation of the foredeck and easy kite evolutions. What this means for “Challenger” as a race charter boat is that from the first start line new crews can be sure to be fast.
With only approximately 12,000 Nm under her keel since new, she is in exceptional condition for a boat of her age. For 2016 she has a new mainsail, new staysail, new Code 0, new A3, and all new safety gear. Below decks she has all new canvas work, new bunks, navigation equipment and is finished to a very high standard. The deck and hull branding is new for the 2016 season.
She is coded to MCA Cat 0, and performs at her best with 16 crew, including 1 or 2 company representatives.
Single Berth & Whole Boat Package:
- 8 minimum charter crew compliment for competitive racing.
- If Whole Boat charter crew is less than 8 then we reserve the right to add Single Berth bookings.
- Two days Preparation and Training.
- Entry Fee.
- Berthing Costs.
- Food / Drinks on board when racing.
- On board accommodation from start of training if available.
- On board berths 12, including charter crew – available on a first come, first served basis.
- Engine Fuel.
- Tank Water.
- Crew Shirts.
- All Safety Gear.
- Hull cleaned and yacht race ready.
- Discounts: Whole Boat charter will receive a discount on the Single Berth charter rate.
2017 Challenger Calendar
|Charter Package Dates||Event||Region / Type||Charter Options||Rate - Discounts Available|
|April 27th - May 5th|
|Antigua Sailing Week||Caribbean / Regatta||Whole|
|US$26,000 - 12 crew.
|May 10th - 26th||Antigua to Bermuda Race||Atlantic / Offshore||Whole|