“Phoenix” – a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44, is the latest addition to the Miramar Sailing Fleet.
She is also the ‘Grande Dame’, built in the days when modern boats were built to last, and detailing to the interior and on deck was of a higher quality than many similar yachts built today.
Our third French boat, she is 44ft long, and has a beam of nearly 14ft, making her accommodation below decks very comfortable. She draws just under 7ft, giving good stability under sail but still allowing access to the many beautiful, isolated anchorages around Antigua & the other Caribbean Islands. Her spacious saloon and galley allow for sociable gatherings for 6 or more people without being overcrowded. She has 3 double cabins, one of which also has a quarter berth for one more person to sleep. There are 2 separate heads with a dedicated shower room, the starboard aft cabin has its own wash hand basin, the port aft cabin has direct access to the aft heads. “Phoenix” is a comfortable cruising yacht, built solidly and giving a feeling of safe but nevertheless exciting performance.
Like “Miramar” she is a Bermudan rigged sloop with in-mast mainsail furling and roller furled headsail, with all control lines lead aft to the cockpit, giving the crew full control of the sails from the safety of the cockpit area. She has ‘granny bars’ to give a safe working area for any crew member that may need to go up to the mast. Her helm is central and set well aft in the cockpit, leaving space for crew members to move around freely. The helm is removable to allow even greater ease of movement in the area when at anchor. She has steps on her sloping transom to allow swimmers easy access to the water, and there is also a fresh water shower available there to rinse off the salt after that swim. “Phoenix” has the added advantage of ‘Goal Posts’ on the stern allowing the tender to be carried from the davits, rather than being towed through the water.
She has a large Bimini to protect the crew from the sun and a spray hood to shield in inclement weather.
Her engine is a Yanmar 55hp Diesel, a motor renowned for its reliability & longevity, and guaranteed to get you home when the wind stops blowing.
Being a Sail Training vessel in our RYA recognised Training Centre, “Phoenix” is maintained regularly, and surveyed annually to ensure she is ready to meet the rigours of our Sail Training programmes.
- Life raft: 8 person offshore (SOLAS B)
- 1 x Full Set Offshore Distress Flares
- 1 x Electronic Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)
- 1 x VHF/DSC Radio
- 1 X Handheld VHF Radio
- Man Overboard:
- 2 x Horseshoe Buoys with automatic night lights
- 1 X Dan Buoy also with automatic light
- 1 X MOB Retrieval Harness
- Lifejackets: Full complement each with light, whistle and auto and manual inflation facility.
- Fire Extinguishers:
- 3 x 1kg ABC Manual Dry Powder at each cabin entrance
- 1 x ABC Automatic Dry Powder in the engine compartment
- 1 x 5kg ABC Dry Powder for the saloon
- 3 x Smoke Detectors
- Propane Gas: Automatic Low Level Sensor with auto alarm.
- Steering: Emergency Tiller
- Bilge Pumps:
- 1 x Manual hand pump
- 1 x Manually Switched electric pump
- 1 x Automatic electric pump with alarm
- 1 x Electronic GPS Chartplotter
- 1 x GPS / DSC Receiver
- 1 x Handheld GPS Receiver
- 1 x VHF / DSC Transceiver
- 1 x Handheld VHF Radio
- 1 x Wind Speed & Direction Indicators
- 1 x Depth Sounder Displays
- 1 x Electro/Hydraulic Auto Pilot
- Full set of Eastern Caribbean passage planning and large scale paper charts
- Buoyancy Aids
- Fishing Equipment
- Fresh Water Deck Shower
- Full width cockpit bimini shade
- Cockpit Spray Hood
- 12 Vdc power outlets
- 2 burner propane gas cooker with oven
- 12 Vdc Fridge / Freezer
- Folding Cockpit Table
- Beach BBQ Grill
- Bluetooth music system