Tel: +1 (268) 723 9343
Our YACHTMASTER XPRESS programme offers an unprecedented combination of new skills learning, a high level RYA/MCA qualification, (that can be Commercially Endorsed), plus a Caribbean Sailing and Touring Adventure that would cost a fortune if you chartered your own skippered yacht without any training included.
The Yachtmaster Xpress is now offered, further improved, through our partner RYA Training Centre, Second Star Sailing.
Due to demand we have three program starts, November, January and March!
The programme is 18 weeks duration and offers first class training by RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Instructors.
The early, but essential, parts of the course will still take place around the waters of Antigua and The Leeward Islands. Beautiful sailing grounds in themselves.
The latter part of the previous programme took us down to the Windward Islands and St. Vincent and the Grenadines for 6 weeks, where the cruising grounds are approved by the RYA as tidal.
These extra weeks down south will ensure that our students get a wonderful insight into the islands of the Caribbean plus the critical mileage requirement for examination will have been completely fulfilled before the Yachtmaster exam is applied for.
The YACHTMASTER XPRESS programme includes all the RYA sailing qualifications from novice to Yachtmaster Offshore PLUS several supplementary, non-obligatory courses, that we believe make a complete Yachtmaster Offshore.
The RYA courses are taught by Second Star Sailing unless otherwise noted:
- Dinghy Sailing Level 1 (@ the National Sailing Academy)
- Dinghy Sailing Level 2 (@ the National Sailing Academy)
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Theory
- RYA Day Skipper Practical
- RYA Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore Theory
- Mile & Experience Building
- RYA Coastal Skipper Practical
- Participation in Optional regattas such as Grenada Sailing Week, RORC 600 Caribbean or Antigua Sailing Week
- SRC (VHF) Radio taken Online and examined at our school.
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- RYA Radar
- RYA First Aid
- RYA Yachtmaster Preparation week
- RYA Yachtmaster Exam Please Note: Exam Fee is not included as this must be paid to the RYA directly.
Course Cost 1( Weeks – Competent Crew to RYA//MCA Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore – €17,750
Course Fees Include
- Onboard Accomodation during all practical courses and mileage/cruising/skills weeks
- All course didactic materials, supplies, and certificates.
- Expert tuition from RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Instructors.
- Weekly BBQ at the end of each course
- SPF 50 long sleeve shirt
- Racing kit and entry fees if participating in regattas
- All customs and immigration dues in all islands.
- Berthing / mooring fees in all islands.
- Free Wi-Fi when at school base.
- Examiner and Yacht are included for the YM examination
- Practical Courses – Normally 09:30 on Sunday through 17:00 on Thursday. Final day may vary for Mile & Experience Building weeks.
- Theory Courses – 09:30 on Sunday through 17:00 on Thursday. (17:00 on Friday for Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Theory Courses)
Read what our past clients think in our Client Reviews
Throughout the programme you will have passed by, or visited, almost all of the islands in the Caribbean Chain. There is a split emphasis between a fun sailing adventure holiday and serious sail training. A fabulous introduction to the region and sailing!
Please visit our USA Online Store, or UK Online Store for the following recommended pre-course study materials, and a selection of clothing, sailing and travel accessories.
- Competent Crew Course Notes
- The Complete Day Skipper
- International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea
- RYA Weather Handbook
- RYA Navigation Handbook
- RYA Offshore Sailing
- Yachtmaster Handbook
To assist with your planning we offer some suggestions for Accommodation and Travel
Yachtmaster Offshore Examination – minimum age 18. Before the start of an exam, the examiner must verify the candidate’s claim to have the specified sea experience. Please see here for full details.
All candidates must complete and sign the exam application form, which includes a statement of qualifying experience. We will ensure you meet these criteria.
The content of the exam is set by the syllabus in the RYA publication G158. Check these with the examiner.
There are 2 general principles which should be taken as an overall guide.
- It is the examiner’s task to give the candidate the opportunity to show that he/she is a competent skipper.
- At the end of the exam the candidate should feel, whatever the outcome, that he/she has had a full, fair, and searching test.
Please read this page from the RYA website carefully before considering applying for examination.
For those students serious about working commercially in the sailing industry please visit Crew Network for job opportunities. You will need an STCW10 qualification, (possibly available in Antigua after your Yachtmaster “Xpress” course) and a Commercial Endorsement to your Yachtmaster qualification.
How to apply for a standard commercial endorsement?
Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- Your Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence.
- Your Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate – download the MCA’s ML5 form from the RYA website. They can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
- A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- The fee
We also offer Gift Vouchers to give to family and friends.