Tel: +1 (268) 721 3456
Our YACHTMASTER XPRESS programme offers an unprecedented combination of new skills learning, a high level RYA/MCA qualification, (that can be Commercially Endorsed), plus a Caribbean Sailing and Touring Adventure that would cost a fortune if you chartered your own skippered yacht without any training included.
We used to offer only one programme a year from January. Due to demand we decided to add a second programme starting in late April.
This decision led to a rethink about how we could further enhance the experience, enjoyment and value for our clients.
What follows is the result of this.
The programme is still 16 weeks duration. It is still priced very favourably given what is included. It still offers first class training by RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Instructors.
So, what has changed?
The early, but essential, parts of the course will still take place around the waters of Antigua and The Leeward Islands. Beautiful sailing grounds in themselves.
The latter part of the previous programme took us down to the Windward Islands and St. Vincent and the Grenadines for 6 weeks, where the cruising grounds are approved by the RYA as tidal.
The mileage criteria for the Yachtmaster Offshore examination are crucial so we are obliged to log at least 1,250 non-tidal miles, and 1,250 tidal miles.
Whereas previously we built the non-tidal miles before heading South for the tidal mile building phase, we have decided to add more of a ‘cruising’ appeal to the challenge of building those miles and experience. Rather than do all the non-tidal miles first, then chasing the tidal miles, we feel that the students will get more opportunity to enjoy the Caribbean if we cruise more slowly South, exploring parts of the Windward Islands and St. Vincent & The Grenadines on the way, then return North exploring different islands on the way back. We will then head South again, with a chance to visit the islands we missed on the previous trip. These extra weeks down south will ensure that our students get a wonderful insight into the islands of the Caribbean plus the critical mileage requirement for examination will have been completely fulfilled before the Yachtmaster exam is applied for.
The YACHTMASTER XPRESS programme includes all the RYA sailing qualifications from novice to Yachtmaster Offshore PLUS several supplementary, non-obligatory courses, that we believe make a complete Yachtmaster Offshore.
The courses are:
- Competent Crew
- Day Skipper Theory
- Day Skipper Practical
- Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore Theory
- Mile & Experience Building including Coastal Skipper Practical
- SRC (VHF) Radio taken Online and examined at our school.
- Diesel Engine Maintenance
- Power Boat – Level 2
- First Aid Taken off site.
- Yachtmaster Preparation with Exam Please Note: Exam Fee is not included as this must be paid to the RYA via the examiner.
Course Cost 16 Weeks – Competent Crew to RYA//MCA Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore – US$14,760
Course Fees Include
- Free accommodation for the duration of the course. Catered when sailing, uncatered when not.
- All course materials and certificates.
- Expert tuition from RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Instructors.
- Loan of vehicle, or tender, for travel within the Jolly Harbour Marina complex – subject to availability. Fuel not included.
- All customs and immigration dues in all islands.
- Berthing / mooring fees in all islands.
- Communal refrigerator at school base.
- Laundry facilities when at school base.
- Free Wi-Fi when at school base.
- Bluetooth Music System on board.
- Practical Courses – Normally 09:00 on Sunday through 09:00 on Friday. Final day may vary for Mile & Experience Building weeks.
- Theory Courses – 09:00 on Sunday through 17:30 on Thursday.
Read what our past clients think in our Client Reviews
Throughout the programme you will have passed by, or visited, almost all of the islands in the Caribbean Chain. There is a split emphasis between a fun sailing adventure holiday and serious sail training. A fabulous introduction to the region and sailing!
- Competent Crew Course Notes
- The Complete Day Skipper
- International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea
- RYA Weather Handbook
- RYA Navigation Handbook
- RYA Offshore Sailing
- Yachtmaster Handbook
Yachtmaster Offshore Examination – minimum age 18. Before the start of an exam, the examiner must verify the candidate’s claim to have the specified sea experience. Please see here for full details.
All candidates must complete and sign the exam application form, which includes a statement of qualifying experience. We will ensure you meet these criteria.
The content of the exam is set by the syllabus in the RYA publication G158. Check these with the examiner.
There are 2 general principles which should be taken as an overall guide.
- It is the examiner’s task to give the candidate the opportunity to show that he/she is a competent skipper.
- At the end of the exam the candidate should feel, whatever the outcome, that he/she has had a full, fair, and searching test.
Please read this page from the RYA website carefully before considering applying for examination.
For those students serious about working commercially in the sailing industry please visit Crew Network for job opportunities. You will need an STCW10 qualification, (possibly available in Antigua after your Yachtmaster “Xpress” course) and a Commercial Endorsement to your Yachtmaster qualification.
How to apply for a standard commercial endorsement?
Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- Your Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence.
- Your Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate – download the MCA’s ML5 form from the RYA website. They can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
- A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- The fee