Tel: +1 (268) 721 3456
We offer an intensive training programme broken down into 2 Training Modules that target both levels of RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Certificates of Competence for Leisure Sailing.
Each Module has the potential to open a door to employment in the sailing industry after Commercial Endorsement.
We have further improved the options for our students by introducing all of our Supplementary Courses to make the final qualification achieved more comprehensive, and beneficial, in terms of the knowledge gained.
The timing of our Yachtmaster “Xpress” Package is always around the beginning of a year in January. This is because:
- We avoid Tropical Storm season. This is between June and November and we would not want any course disruption due to adverse weather.
- The northeast Trade Winds blow consistently from December onwards presenting very favourable conditions for sail training.
- The course includes 13 weeks of sailing around the Leeward & Windward Islands building the non tidal and tidal miles required for the Yachtmaster examination qualifying criteria.
This is probably one of the most comprehensive “Fast Track” Yachtmaster Packages available. Successful completion of both modules will leave you with no less than twelve qualifications and the satisfaction that you are a complete Yachtmaster!
Discounts are available for multiple student bookings.
Yachtmaster Xpress Course Programme
Week 1: Competent Crew / SRC (VHF) Radio Online Login.
Week 2: Day Skipper Theory
Week 3: Day Skipper Practical
Week 4: Coastal Skipper Theory
Weeks 5 – 8: Mile & Experience Building – Non Tidal
Week 9: Diesel Engine Maintenance / SRC (VHF) Radio Oral Assessment / Power Boat – Level 2 / Radar / First Aid
Weeks 10 – 15: Mile & Experience Building – Tidal including Coastal Skipper Practical
Week 16: Yachtmaster Preparation with Exam
Course Cost 16 Weeks – Competent Crew to RYA//MCA Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore – US$14,760
Course Fees Include
- All RYA Courses.
- All Course materials and certificates.
- All Mile & Experience Building Weeks.
- Yachtmaster Preparation Week
- Yacht Charter for Examination
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Examination Fee
- On Yacht accommodation for the duration of the course
- On Yacht catering when sailing, light lunch daily for theory courses. Meals taken ashore are for the students account
- On Yacht Bluetooth music system
- Use of Fridge / Freezer
- Free Wi-Fi on school premises
- Practical Courses – Normally 09:00 on Sunday through 09:00 on Friday. Final day may vary for Mile & Experience Building weeks.
- Theory Courses – 09:00 on Sunday through 17:30 on Thursday.
Read what our past clients think in our Client Reviews
Throughout each complete package you will have passed by, or visited, almost all of the islands in the Caribbean Chain. There is a split emphasis between a fun sailing holiday and serious sail training. A fabulous introduction to the region and sailing!
- Competent Crew Course Notes
- The Complete Day Skipper
- International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea
- RYA Weather Handbook
- RYA Navigation Handbook
- RYA Offshore Sailing
- Yachtmaster Handbook
Yachtmaster Offshore Examination – minimum age 18. Before the start of an exam, the examiner must verify the candidate’s claim to have the specified sea experience. We will ensure this is fulfilled. Please see here for full details.
All candidates must complete and sign the exam application form, which includes a statement of qualifying experience. Module 1 will ensure you meet these criteria.
The content of the exam is set by the syllabus in the RYA publication G158. Check these with the examiner.
There are 2 general principles which should be taken as an overall guide.
- It is the examiner’s task to give the candidate the opportunity to show that he/she is a competent skipper.
- At the end of the exam the candidate should feel, whatever the outcome, that he/she has had a full, fair, and searching test.
Please read this page from the RYA website carefully before considering applying for examination.
For those students serious about working commercially in the sailing industry please visit Crew Network for job opportunities. You will need an STCW10 qualification, (available in Antigua after your Yachtmaster “Xpress” course) and a Commercial Endorsement to your Yachtmaster qualification.
How to apply for a standard commercial endorsement?Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- Your Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence.
- Your Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate – download the MCA’s ML5 form from the RYA website. They can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
- A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- The fee