At Miramar Sailing we believe that candidates preparing for their Ocean Yachtmaster Examination need practical training, in addition to the theory course.
This training aims to highlight the practical requirements of the examination criteria, by preparing Yachtmaster Offshore holders for the qualifying ocean passage they will subsequently make for their Yachtmaster Ocean examination.
During the preparation week, which should ideally follow a Yachtmaster Ocean Theory course, you will put into practice:
- Food Provisioning
- House Keeping
- Spares Supplies – Engine & Rigging
- Tool & Bosun’s Kits
- Watch Selection
- Sail Selection – Downwind Sailing
- Safety Equipment
- First Aid Kit Contents
- Weather Forecasting & Routing
- Astro Navigation at sea
COURSE FEE: US$1,035 / Student
- Due to the rigours of non stop sailing, and the consequent watch keeping duties, we do not offer this training to groups of less than 3.
- This is a Miramar Sailing training course currently not offered by the RYA.
There are qualifying criteria for the Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence that you will need to satisfy prior to applying for the examination.
The candidate must have been fully involved in the planning of the passage, including:
- Navigational Plan
- Checking condition of the vessel and her equipment
- Provisioning with spare parts
- Provisioning with water & victuals
- Organising the watch keeping routine
During the Passage:
- A minimum non-stop distance of 600 nm must have been run by the log
- The yacht must have been at sea continuously for 96 hours
- The yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land or charted objects capable of being used for navigation/position fixing while sailing a distance of at least 200 nm
- Astro navigation sights must have been taken and calculated. The record must include, as a minimum, planning, reduction and plotting of a sun-run-meridian altitude sight and a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, star, or a planet
- Qualifying Vessel size:
Less than 80gt – Between 7m LWL and 24m LOA / Up to 500gt – Over 24m LOA.
Throughout the passage the candidate must have acted in a responsible capacity either in sole charge of a watch or as skipper. Performing the role of “lookout” does not fulfill the eligibility requirements.
Yachtmaster Ocean candidates may take their sights on a shorter passage than their qualifying passage. In this case the candidate must have left from one port while returning to a different port with astro navigation used to navigate along the rhumb line out of sight of land.
Course Fees: (see above) to include:
- Student Instructor ratio 4:1. RYA maximum allowed 5:1
- On board accommodation.
- On board catering – Sunday lunch through Friday lunch.
- 2 days of shore training with 4 days of long distance sailing in the warm Caribbean waters
- All year round Sundays to Fridays subject to prior bookings. With 3 yachts and 3 instructors we are confident we can offer you what you want, when you want it.
- Reserve your dates.