Tel: +1 (268) 721 3456
To make it easier for you to find the courses and dates you require, we have now added our Current Course Availability page detailing current courses that are on our schedule and available dates when any course can be scheduled for you. Availability is always subject to bookings received.
If the dates you are interested in are not shown please email us for availability of a yacht and instructor and we will set the course up for you.
At Miramar Sailing we believe that candidates preparing for their Ocean Yachtmaster Examination need practical training, in addition to the theory course.
This training aims to highlight the practical requirements of the examination criteria, by preparing Yachtmaster Offshore holders for the qualifying ocean passage they will subsequently make for their Yachtmaster Ocean examination.
During the preparation week, which will follow a Yachtmaster Ocean Theory course, you will put into practice:
- Food Provisioning
- House Keeping
- Spares Supplies – Engine & Rigging
- Tool & Bosun’s Kits
- Watch Selection
- Sail Selection – Downwind Sailing
- Safety Equipment
- First Aid Kit Contents
- Weather Forecasting & Routing
- Astro Navigation at sea
PACKAGE COST: €1,980.
What do you get for this?.
- Yachtmaster Ocean Theory. Inclusions are the same as for stand alone course.
- Yachtmaster Ocean Passage Preparation . Inclusions are the same as for stand alone course.
- This is a Miramar Sailing training package currently not offered by the RYA.
Availability: All year round Sundays to Fridays subject to prior bookings.
Read what our past clients think in our Client Reviews
There are qualifying criteria for the Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence that you will need to satisfy prior to applying for the examination.
The candidate must have been fully involved in the planning of the passage, including:
- Navigational Plan
- Checking condition of the vessel and her equipment
- Provisioning with spare parts
- Provisioning with water & victuals
- Organising the watch keeping routine
During the Passage:
- A minimum non-stop distance of 600 nm must have been run by the log
- The yacht must have been at sea continuously for 96 hours
- The yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land or charted objects capable of being used for navigation/position fixing while sailing a distance of at least 200 nm
- Astro navigation sights must have been taken and calculated. The record must include, as a minimum, planning, reduction and plotting of a sun-run-meridian altitude sight and a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, star, or a planet
- Qualifying Vessel size: Less than 80gt – Between 7m LWL and 24m LOA / Up to 500gt – Over 24m LOA.
Throughout the passage the candidate must have acted in a responsible capacity either in sole charge of a watch or as skipper. Performing the role of “lookout” does not fulfill the eligibility requirements.
Yachtmaster Ocean candidates may take their sights on a shorter passage than their qualifying passage. In this case the candidate must have left from one port while returning to a different port with astro navigation used to navigate along the rhumb line out of sight of land.
To assist with your planning we offer some suggestions for Accommodation and Travel
We also offer Gift Vouchers to give to family and friends.